AA Propaganda Cover Story in the Paper

Forums:

Sorry, this just hacked me off so much and I have to share.

Front page, Sunday edition, Kansas City Star. 3 page puff piece advertisement for AA, including how to find meetings. Not a damned word about any other programs. This is reprinted online, with comments available.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/03/3467414/young-people-turn-to-aa-to-...

(The stats were in the sidebar and copied with everything else, the excerpt of the article follows. ARGH.)

Young people turn to AA to break the grip of alcohol and drugs
BY ERIC ADLER
The Kansas City Star

10 million
12- to 20-year-olds drank alcohol in the past month, a 2010 survey found.
6.5 million
were binge drinkers (five or more drinks on at least one occasion in the 30 days before survey).
2.1 million
People, worldwide, who attended AA meetings in 2011, including 1.3 million in the U.S.
13.6 percent
Percentage of people attending AA meetings in the U.S. and Canada who are 30 or younger, according to a 2007 survey.
10 million
6.5 million
2 million
40.6 percent
15.3 percent
13.6 percent

• 69 percent of college graduates were current drinkers (at least one drink in the past 30 days) in 2010. That compares with 37 percent of adults with less than a high school education.
• Among full-time college students ages 18-22, 63 percent were current drinkers in 2010; 42 percent were binge drinkers; and 16 percent were heavy drinkers. Those numbers are higher than those for other adults ages 18-22 (non-college students and part-time college students): 52 percent were current drinkers, 36 percent were binge drinkers and 12 percent were heavy drinkers.

2.1 million
Names in this story
The Kansas City Star does not publish stories quoting anonymous sources unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Some of the subjects in this story were willing to use their full names, but because the guarantee of anonymity is such a bedrock part of Alcoholics Anonymous’ ethos, The Star agreed to abide by AA’s tradition of identifying individuals only by single, but actual, names.
Finding a meeting
Go to kc-aa.org or call 816-471-7229.
Earlier start, greater dependency
Percentage of alcohol dependence or abuse among adults 21 or older, by age at first drink.
Under age 12:16 percent
12-14: 15.6 percent
15-17: 9 percent
18-20: 4.2 percent
21 or older: 2.6 percent

LAWRENCE -- Tall and lithe, 23-year-old Suzanne — once known to her University of Kansas sorority sisters as “Boozin’ Susan” — carries a load of folding chairs into a Sixth Street mini-mall storefront and arranges them in a circle.

Ten young people amble in and, over the next hour, tell why they’re here.

“Hi, I’m Claire, and I’m an alcoholic.” Age 23.

“Hi, I’m Matt, and I’m an alcoholic.” Age 25.

“Hi, I’m Jean, and I’m an alcoholic and an addict.” Age 17. She first got drunk on vodka when she was 8.

There is Stephanie, 20, and two seats away a 19-year-old addict fresh to sobriety. There are Mike and Will, both under 26.

Two sorority girls. A couple of athletes. Gen-Y’ers, children of affluence and of poverty. One young man’s abstemious parents never raised a bottle. Others barely remember mom or dad without a drink or drug in hand.

At a time when binge drinking remains at epidemic levels, and as tens of thousands of high school and college students begin packing for spring break destinations where alcohol flows freely, thousands of other young people nationwide will flow into meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous, having concluded that what they once thought was a rite of youth is an addiction.

Young people in their 20s and even late teens have been part of AA from some of its earliest years, not long after Bill Wilson founded the fellowship in 1935 on a 12-step approach.

At the core of AA is a shared belief that, powerless in the face of their addictions, alcoholics and other addicts work to remain sober one day at a time, lean on others for support and rely on what in AA parlance is one’s “H.P.,” or higher power, or God.

Because of AA’s ways — no dues, no fees, no formal membership rosters and only periodic surveys of attendees — it’s impossible to say exactly how many young people are attending the fellowship’s meetings.

What is clear, researchers say, is that although AA does not work for everyone, for young people who stick to its tenets, it can offer a lifeline in a culture where the pressure to drink is often overwhelming.

“Basically, young people benefit from going,” said Harvard University’s John Kelly, an addiction recovery researcher at the Massachusetts General Hospital who in 2008 published a study that followed 16-year-olds from a San Diego rehab clinic for eight years.

“The strongest predictor of recovery was attendance at AA,” Kelly said. “For every single meeting they attended, they gained an extra two days of abstinence.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/03/3467414/young-people-turn-to-aa-to-...

Yes, this is pretty outrageous stuff. And pity those poor kids who either a) do have serious alcohol addiction problems that AA is unlikely to help them with, or b) those who are nowhere near alcoholics but will now be told that they are - for life.

This is a very weird statement:

“The strongest predictor of recovery was attendance at AA,” Kelly said. “For every single meeting they attended, they gained an extra two days of abstinence.”

It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Those who promote AA always present figures for success in very convoluted ways . . . I wonder why? (Not.)

massive's picture

HI guys I just called him and spoke to him.

Massive

massive's picture

yes.

Massive

becket's picture

If it's an advertisement for AA why would they mention any other programs?

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”
― Christopher Hitchens, Letters to a Young Contrarian

massive's picture

I asked him if he would do a story about other. options like Smart SOS WFS.
Im sending him horror stories an dlinks

Massive

This is awful. Thanks for getting this info out about this. I am so fed up with young people including minors being encouraged to AA/NA/CA meetings. Most people I talk to have no idea how the judicial system has infiltrated these programs by filling them up with dangerous felons. There might be actual existing laws about not being able to mix minors with felons, but nobody is connecting the dots.

"I welcome all allies in the fight against A.A. hegemony" -Orange

www.leavingaa.com

NA DAYTONA- Violent Criminals Being Mandated to AA and NA Meetings
http://nadaytona.org/alcoholics-anonymous-votes-no-to-protect-members-fr...

'REQUIREMENTS FOR SERVICE TO ALATEENS:
An Alateen Sponsor is a responsible, adult member of Al-Anon who attends Al-Anon meetings regularly, is currently certified as an Al-Anon Member Involved In Alateen Service through their area’s Alateen process, and who shares his/her experience in living with the disease of alcoholism, strength gained from the Twelve Steps, knowledge of the Twelve Traditions, and hope for the future. He/she helps the Alateens keep the focus on the Al-Anon program. No person may serve as an Al-Anon Member Involved in Alateen Service, including Sponsors, who has ever been convicted of a felony, or charged with child abuse or any other inappropriate sexual behavior, or has demonstrated emotional problems which could result in harm to the Alateen members.'

www.leavingaa.com

Q. Are Alateen Coordinators (for Area, Districts and Intergroups) required to complete the sponsor certification process for AMIAS?

A. Yes, they all are Al-Anon Members Involved in Alateen Service.

Q. Do Alateen Sponsors at Convention or Alateen Conferences or special Alateen events have to be certified?

A. Yes Al-Anon Members Involved in Alateen Service at Assemblies, Conventions and Conferences are required to be certified. Al-Anon members attending a Convention, Conference, or special Alateen event, who are not directly responsible for the Alateens in their service to Al-Anon, do not have to be certified
Q. Will NCWSA do background checks on Alateen sponsors?

A. Yes, this is a requirement to become an Alateen sponsor.

Q. What is the cost of the background check?

A. Currently, running the background check with both Federal and State costs $50. There is also a charge for doing the fingerprinting and that can run from $10 to $25, depending where you get it done. There is a list available on the Attorney General’s website which lists all the locations for computerized fingerprinting (LiveScan) and the fees for taking and transmitting the prints to the Department of Justice.

www.leavingaa.com

Thanks, I've barely had time to post a thing here the last week or so, this was just so very blatant that I couldn't not share it. Seriously, thanks for just giving this a look!

TY Perse.

These poor young people are at an age where partying is done at a maximu. In many cases the individuals will probably just grow out of it. Like when they are done with college and getting married, working full time jobs...becoming responsible adults is one of the cures of "partying".

It's just so sad that they are sitting back labeling themselves as alcoholic and being taught that they have a lifelong disease that they are powerless over.

Oh, this is such a shame. ---Fuck you Bill Wilson, you greedy slime.

Pro Empowerment!

Orange's picture

Good catch. Of course I had to post a comment. I think it's a good thing to challenge that kind of journalism where they do not do any real investigative reporting, and just repeat old misconceptions.