The Anonymous People

Documentary on the "disease" and "recovery" movement.

Has anyone seen this?

Can it be found online anywhere?

Here is a link to the Trailer
https://gathr.us/films/the-anonymous-people

THE ANONYMOUS PEOPLE is a feature documentary film about the over 23 million Americans living in long-term recovery from alcohol and other drug addiction. Deeply entrenched social stigma have kept recovery voices silent and faces hidden for decades. The vacuum has been filled with sensational mass media depictions of people with addiction that perpetuate a lurid fascination with the dysfunctional side of what is a preventable and treatable health condition. Just like women with breast cancer, or people with HIV/AIDS, a grass roots social justice movement is emerging. Courageous addiction recovery advocates have come out of the shadows and are organizing to end discrimination and move toward recovery-based solutions.

The moving story of The Anonymous People is told through the faces and voices of citizens, leaders, volunteers, corporate executives, public figures, and celebrities who are laying it all on the line to save the lives of others just like them. This passionate new public recovery movement aims to transform public opinion, engage communities and elected officials, and finally shift problematic policy toward lasting solutions.

Comments

criticoolthinking's picture

and btw smart sucks too and its not sfaer than aa either. i suggest paying for wider use of comprehensive therapy or something else. or nothing else depending. i know many substance abusers have mh issues anyhow. another reason imo smart is inadequate. smart copy cats aa talk i.e. when you are bothered by others you are at fault is repackage with new words in smart.

the only thing we have to fear; is man himself. CGJung

Rolf Ankermann's picture

Define "comprehensive therapy". I'm not a big fan of "support groups" in general either. But the quality of "therapy" from one shrink to the next varies so, so much. I read all too often about people who are in "therapy" with there shrinks for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS.
I'm not sure what the ultimate answer is either but "comprehensive therapy" doesn't necessarily sound foolproof by any stretch of the imagination either.

criticoolthinking's picture

aa nearly drug society back into the "middle emotional health ages" when it swamped the therapy industry circa 70-80s. nowadays i feel a new world view posit in the collective conscience - - such that people are starting to know its truly essential to process the upset feelings.; wo blaming themselves for the sin of anger at any of god's will ...the WV experience i grew up in.. has changed and people are setting rules in therapy. therapy is best when it is best for the individual. that's my best definition. so anybody else setting the rules is supplanting their/wrong agenda. we need to participate/decide in our treatments.

the only thing we have to fear; is man himself. CGJung