Joseph McCoy Burr III, 41 mandated to Alcoholics Anonymous in Georgia for viciously attacking his victim with a hatchet in AA General Service Area 16 District 10 - Sept. 9, 2013

In yet another example of the US Judiciary sending obviously very dangerous and unstable criminals into the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous, Joseph McCoy Burr III, 41 has been mandated to attending AA meetings in Villa Rica, Georgia, a city that is comprised of Carroll and Douglas Counties after brutally attacking his female roommate with a hatchet. For the crimes of aggravated assault, false imprisonment, battery and more on March 2012, Judge Bill Hamrick has sentenced Mr. Burr to 17 years of AA meetings in General Service Area 16, District 10 (www.aageorgia.org/10e-meetings.html).
Man pleads guilty to hatchet assault Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 8:53 pm By Colton Campbell/Times-Georgian A Villa Rica man was sentenced to 13 years in prison Monday following multiple alleged assaults of his live-in girlfriend, including one in which he was accused of wielding a hatchet at her. Joseph McCoy Burr III, 41, was originally charged with 14 counts, including charges of aggravated assault, false imprisonment and battery. The man was sentenced by Judge Bill Hamrick to 13 years in prison, to be followed by 17 years of probation, in Carroll County Superior Court on Monday. Burr was arrested in March 2012 following an allegation that he had assaulted a woman who lived with him on Bonnie Sue Drive, breaking five ribs. The two alleged incidents occurred in February and March of that year. Burr apologized in open court Monday, though the female victim was not present. “I was wrong, and I’m very sorry,” he said, crying. “I never meant for that to happen, and I want to thank the judge for not giving me a bond when I was before him a few months ago. Sitting in that jail cell for 21 hours a day has helped me.” In the February incident, Burr allegedly wielded a hatchet at the victim, striking her on the hand and ankle when she tried to deflect the weapon. The defendant then hit the woman with a drinking glass and used the cord of a heating pad to choke her, police said. Also in that February incident, Burr allegedly poured hot candle wax on the female while she was in the bathtub, cleaning her wounds. In the March incident noted in the indictment, shortly after which Burr was arrested, the defendant allegedly hit the woman with a belt buckle and then plunged her head underwater while she was in the bath, holding it there until she was able to pull the drain stopper to let the tub’s water out so she could breathe. The day after that incident, the victim was able to call a family member and police, shortly after which Burr was arrested.
Read the rest: http://www.times-georgian.com/news/local/article_77c27508-19b3-11e3-92e3... What are these judges thinking?

Comments

Has anyone tried this approach, or something similar? "Dear Judge Bill Hamrick, I write to you to ask for your help. You recently sentenced Joseph McCoy Burr III to attend AA meetings for a period of 17 years. I'm concerned that you've mandated a dangerous and violent man into AA meetings. AA meetings have traditionally been the place where problemed-drinkers seek help, primarily through their own volition, for their drink problem. AA is made up of both men and women. It has not previously been a haven for felons to be mandated to as Criminal Rehabilitation as AA has no opinion on "outside issues," let alone some sort of rehabilitation of criminals. I know from my own experience that many women attend these meetings. How can I alert these women to the fact that a violent and dangerous felon, Joseph McCoy Burr III, has been recently court-ordered to attend the same meetings that they do? Unfortunately, Alcoholics Anonymous is rather anonymous. There's no way to know just by looking that the person next to you is decent, or had taken a hatchet to someone. Please note: I don't condemn you as an a United States Judge for ordering a violent criminal to AA; many judges before you have done the same, seeing AA as a treatment for violent offenders. You may already be aware of the current Karla Brada case in California. (Karla was murdered by a criminal forced to attend AA, and her parents are suing all of the California State Officials who placed Earle, a violent criminal offender into AA, and thereby into Karla's path.) Alas, when so many women have been preyed upon, raped, and murdered by these court-ordered felons, that one wonders, "What can I do to prevent further abuse?" Would you be so kind as to help me word a letter to the AA Area and AA District alerting them to the fact that you've recently ordered, Joseph McCoy Burr III, a violent criminal into their midst? I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could offer me. Thank you for all of your help."
live_free_or_die's picture

You(we) should make the salutation: Dear Honorable Judge XXXX - Need to stroke that ego. Another idea that was discussed some time ago was a letter written to each state's supreme court chief justice about that unconstitutionality of coercing people to XA/12 steps without offering alternatives.
LFOD's Blog http://www.orange-papers.org/forum/blog/10857 ©2014 AA:MyNotGodHasItCovered® http://www.expaa.org/ http://noforcedaa.weebly.com/ http://12stepprograms.weebly.com/ NOT AA: Rational Recovery, SOS, HAMS
JR Harris's picture

Unfortunately AA Area 16 contacts judges asking for new members to be mandated to them by the judges in Georgia under their "Corrections" committees and they will gleefully welcome the hatchet attacker Joseph McCoy Burr III to hide in the anonymous rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous.(http://www.aageorgia.org/corrections.html).

~You can not moderate the truth. Just don't lie, steal or make stuff up out of thin air and expect to get away with it without it being pointed out to you. It's really very simple.~

criticoolthinking's picture

but when i looked at my part and i realized i made him relapse when he missed the meeting. and even though the emergency phone number was on the card i now see i was not there to dial it for him. yes when i can see my part - then i see the world is as it should be. and inevitably i can see that in every problem - there i was. at aa.

i get high on the sky!