It never ceases to amaze me the number of ways that people can blame the victim of a violent assault, murder or even financial scam. Lets play a game and see just how many ways there are to blame the victim and the ridiculous methods that people use to do just that. Here is the scenario:
Woman called "Miss Victim" is brutally raped and murdered while going into an area that is filled with ex-cons with severe mental issues and drug and/or alcohol use. Miss Victim, has a drug and alcohol problem herself and seeks help, she is hesitant because she has heard that some of the people in the area she is told to go into are dangerous, but she is told:
1. By the doctor that she needs to go to AA because it is "therapy" and is good for her.
2. All of the documentation on Alcoholics Anonymous says it is a wonderful and safe fellowship.
3. The Intergroup for AA in her area advertizes that a group is held at a certain area.
4. The Victim calls the Intergroup hotline and they say it is a wonderful and safe group and she should go.
5. The Victim goes to the first meeting and finds a Sponsor and the group seems safe.
6. The Victim needing financial support and a place to stay, meets a friend of her Sponsor.
7. The Victim ends up moving in with this person because she needs help.
8. The Victims Sponsor sees nothing wrong with it and promotes it.
9. No one in the Intergroup or Group intercedes or does anything to stop it.
10. The Victim is attacked by the person she moves in with and he is put in jail.
11.The Sponsor of the Victim tells her that it was a one time thing and to bail out the man who beat her.
12. Shortly after the release the Victim is found dead, killed by the person lying next to her in bed.
This is a purely fictional accounting, that may resemble the Karla Brada case and the rules are you use only the above information and you identify the victim as "Miss Victim", just like in AA you are supposed to identify yourself as an Alcoholic. YOU USE ONLY THE ABOVE INFORMATION GIVEN, NOTHING ELSE! No news reports of a crime that resembles this one. Use just the above facts.
Go ahead, see how much blame you can put on Victim and see how many excuses you can make for the doctor, Alcoholics Anonymous, Intergroup, Intergroup hotline, Group, Sponsor and the murderer.
Hopefully after this exercise people will start to look at the blaming of the Victim that has been happening.......