Big Book Divinely Inspired?

I found this on a forum, a response to a question: Do you the Big Book was divinely inspired by a huger power? I'm going to be the reactionary here and say yes, BUT, the reason for that is that the 12 steps evolved directly from the six steps of the Oxford group, which are taken directly from the New Testament, which I believe IS divinely inspired. That's one of the reasons I think the 12 steps have so much power. They are in many ways merely a re-phrasing of ancient truths that have everything to do with the way we are wired as people. http://aa.activeboard.com/t40878165/do-you-believe-the-big-book-was-divi... Comments?

Comments

alkieanon's picture

BB Kate asks: "Do you the Big Book was divinely inspired by a huger power?"

Sure, with hands and feet.

BB Kate's picture

I may have made a typo, but i think you mean "hugger", not "huger"
Ripping the Big Book a new one, One Day at a Time
alkieanon's picture

"Christ has no body but yours, No hands, no feet on earth but yours, Yours are the eyes with which he looks Compassion on this world, Yours are the feet with which he walks to do good, Yours are the hands, with which he blesses all the world. Yours are the hands, yours are the feet, Yours are the eyes, you are his body. Christ has no body now but yours, No hands, no feet on earth but yours, Yours are the eyes with which he looks compassion on this world. Christ has no body now on earth but yours." Sure, with hands and feet (hence the hugger play on words).
BB Kate's picture

maybe it would have had more impact if i cared a brass-razoo about Christ
alkieanon's picture

Not a God Botherer.
live_free_or_die's picture

or should I ask which higher power? Are the multitude of AA higher powers all of equal power? Or are some higher powers of lower power?You know, like Superman has more power than Batman who has more power than the Green Lantern who has less power than the Hulk. Is your higher power a better higher power that CLara's higher power? And if so, is your higher power available for loan? 1.5 million U.S. Alcoholics Anonymous members = 1.5 million higher (or lower?) powers. Are all these AA higher powers lower in power than God? Last, but most important, are all these AA higher powers Energy Star rated?
LFOD's Blog http://www.orange-papers.org/forum/blog/10857 ©2014 AA:MyNotGodHasItCovered® http://www.expaa.org/ http://noforcedaa.weebly.com/ http://12stepprograms.weebly.com/ NOT AA: Rational Recovery, SOS, HAMS
NoAAUK's picture

Firstly I would ask how do you view the Gnostic Gospels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostic_Gospels Notably the Gospels of Thomas Mary Magdalene or Judas are they inspired? Then I would go on to ask where in the New Testament are any of the 12 steps or going to AA meetings for one day let alone for life to stop you drinking alcohol, mentioned? I do however believe the Big Book could well be inspired by a huger power. I've mentioned before I believe that contact with entities of the spirit world or next level of consciousness/existence or whatever you want to call it can be achieved. I don't believe it should be achieved, but at the risk of ridicule, I believe it can be. If people do not believe in God or the afterlife then AA is irrelevant and should not be able to scare you into everlasting cult membership, and good for you. But if you are a believer, particularly in a vengeful , judgemental, Christian fundamentalist God, then you can well fall victim to the promoters of this cult, particulaly if you are very frightened and confused at the time, which you are very likley to be, when you seek their help and these stepper predators know this Anyway I believe there are both good and malignant entities in the spirit world and deviants like Frank Buchman (who liked to listen to confessions of masturbation from students), lying thieving con man and sexual predator Bill Wilson and the child battering Bob Smith would be likely to get inspiration from evil demonic entities, not good ones, when they held their seances I believe the BB and steppism in general is inspired by demonic forces, the whole idea of total surrender to a higher power in return for miracles is pure Satanism. And the clues are all around in AA. Would a Good Other World Entity be involved with lying and misinformation, censorship of criticism, coercion, scaremongering, predatory activities for sex and control, mental turmoil and agony to the point of suicide on a grand scale, total commitment to the coercion and recruitment of other vulnerable people, and all the other cult activities of steppism? No, this is the work something pure evil The way these people coerce recruitment where ever they can, in the media, jails , treatment centres, schools, professional organisations , the US Armed Forces, the British Houses of Parliament etc etc…….theres something really sinister and scary about this stepper thing. I, like Orange believe I found satan in AA. If you believe the New Testament is inspired then the steppers are the Wolves in sheep’s clothing that Mathew warns about (JR Harris quoted this a while ago), you can tell them by their works . When I read about how Bill Wilson claimed to be the reincarnation of Jesus Christ, I laughed……….but what if he had claimed to be the anti christ………I would have taken him at his word steppism = satanism BB inspired by satan
......and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Matthew 24:11
NoAAUK's picture

What about the Submariner? Would he be a LOWER Power when he was in the sea? Techincally he would be below sea level PS I always thought Green Lantern was MORE powerful that Batman
......and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Matthew 24:11
Clara's picture

Then I am surprised that you stayed any time at all after reading the 12 steps that are in every meeting (generally even on the wall) This isn't what makes sense to me. People have the same access as I did to the information and on a pretty immediate basis. I don't see why it took more than one meeting to get what it took many naysayer DECADES! And then they blame someone else.
Remember Christopher Stevens when you vote.
Clara's picture

Back to you Kate, I agree with the poster as I have found similar "steps" in most religions, which might explain some of the overall and "spiritual" aspect of it. I also find it interesting that a poster is going to a pro-AA site when we are told how unwelcome we are by anyone but Orange to be here. Why is that?
Remember Christopher Stevens when you vote.
LisaMarie's picture

BB Kate, I found this on your web site RFR, http://www.aacultwatch.co.uk/ AACultWatch. Are you a member of this group? I find this idea intriguing and a positive step forward. Guys this is a must read blog. aacultwatch aacultwatch has been set up by members of Alcoholics Anonymous who are concerned about the development of a movement within the Fellowship that we refer to as a cult. It is our view that this cult has as its aims the control of AA in Great Britain and the promulgation of its own version of the recovery programme that is both a corruption of the message and the spirit of the Fellowship. Our aim is to raise awareness of this threat and encourage members to act according to their conscience to marginalize this movement. Local members are in the best position to judge what should be done in their area but already some experience has been gained in the Fellowship on how to respond to this malign influence, and some of these ideas are also presented on the blog. Finally we seek to restore AA to a healthily disorganised state where no faction within the Fellowship may seek to impose its will upon the rest, and that the rights of the individual are always upheld. For those AA members who are interested in supporting us in our efforts we can be contacted via our email address above
Gunthar2000's picture

always insist that you should ignore the God shit, and that if you leave them you will die.
____________________________________________________________________ AA is a religious cult dressed up to look like a treatment for alcoholism. Link to original Orange-Papers website... http://orange-papers.org/
alkieanon's picture

Suum cuique pulchrum est.
BB Kate's picture

But, i believe in the power of doorknobs!
BB Kate's picture

If it doesn't make sense to you, then maybe you should try harder to understand. Not everyonne is teh same as you, or had the same experiences as you. Not everyone interepreted the teachings of the fellowship and/or the Big Book in the same way as you. Many people i met were lucky to take much of anything in before 2 years, let alon 1 meeting. Many people i did the steps with said they didn't udnerstand it until years after they joined AA. I suspect it takes many people even more years to fully question the validity of what they were taught. As i was taught, when your life depends on something, you don't question it. If you have doubts, trust. It seems a little strange that you assume everyone else is like you.
BB Kate's picture

I went to the pro-AA site to investigate the issue. I don't remember telling you that you are unwelcome.
BB Kate's picture

I am confused by this post - I don't have a web-site! I have looked on AA Cult Watch in the past though, but it seems to be targeted at a certain brand of AA (pacific-group style).
BB Kate's picture

i have no idea what you are talking about...
NoAAUK's picture

In a nut shell I mean that AA is lying, scaremongering, predatory, mind screwing, death cult and if the Big Book is in fact inspired by any Higher Power......that Higher Power is satan
NoAAUK's picture

Many people who join AA drink far far more than six drinks in a session.