The Slippery Slope of DNA Research for the Alcoholic Gene - What are the dangers?

Members of Alcoholics Anonymous, guided by the literature published by AAWS at the Interchurch Center in New York and The Hazelden Foundation in Minnesota often claim that Alcoholism can be inherited through a persons DNA gene sequence. Simply put, they often claim that you can be an alcoholic because your parents or relatives were. Hazelden is the main researcher for this Spiritual Malady Gene sequence and is feverishly searching for a way to detect alcoholics so they can be put into treatment as quickly as possible, maybe even at birth. What are the possible problems if they claim to have found a gene(s) that identifies inherited alcoholism?

The problems arising from identifying the alcoholic gene are many, because it depends what is done with this information. It is already blatantly clear that if you are classified by the Diagnostic Statistical Manual (DSM) as an Alcohol Dependent User, that this information is often "leaked" to employers, insurance companies, DMV Departments, court systems and Police Departments causing various problems. While it is true that the US claims to protect this information under CFR42, upon analysis what CFR42 really does is have you sign releases to the various agencies already mentioned and they have this on file.

What are the problems that could happen if an Alcoholic Gene is discovered and this information is used incorrectly?

1. Automatic enrollment at Birth in Alcoholics Anonymous.
2. Mandatory gene testing of all of the population.
3. The preventing of two Alcoholics having children (to prevent an Alcoholic Child)
4. Automatic higher health, life or car insurance for the rest of your life.
5. Elimination from the possibility of some jobs. (Government, DOT, AEC, etc...)

Comments

JR Harris's picture

It may become a reality, seeing as Alcoholics Anonymous and the medical offshoot of Hazelden, were born from the writings of Bill Wilson who was a great fan of, and fellow LSD user with Aldous Huxley, author of "The Brave New World."

One other word of caution about Alcoholics Anonymous prospect hunters with this information.

"When you discover a prospect for Alcoholics Anonymous, find out all you can about him. " BB p.90, Working With Others

~You can not moderate the truth. Just don't lie, steal or make stuff up out of thin air and expect to get away with it without it being pointed out to you. It's really very simple.~

becket's picture

The danger to you is that science will discover that alcoholism can be traced to one's DNA.

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”
― Christopher Hitchens, Letters to a Young Contrarian

JR Harris's picture

Ethically, the slippery slope that is happening is that science is trying to prove the existence of a "breed" of alcoholic. Due to the tendency caused by AAWS at the Interchurch Center that AA members only understand other Alcoholics, they are having Alcoholic children which is a form of inbreeding, they are breeding Alcoholics. How long before some nut starts to "suggest" sterilization? That suggestion could then become a defacto standard in the future. Eventually that defacto standard of sterilization could become the "de jure" standard in some societies.

The slippery slope has already been started with "addicts" and has already been reported. Currently it is a "suggestion" and people are given a "choice" and a financial reward given for complying. How long before some "hick" judge starts adding this stipulation into court sentences or as part of probation or parole, or some religious fanatics talk them into it?

Why Drug Addicts Are Getting Sterilized for Cash

By William Lee Adams Saturday, Apr. 17, 2010

.......Chavarria had the procedure done after meeting with Project Prevention, a North Carolina–based charity that gives drug addicts $300 if they go on long-term birth control or undergo sterilization. The aim of Barbara Harris, 57, the organization's controversial founder, is to prevent addicts from having children they can't care for and reduce the number of babies who are born exposed to drugs. "Even if their babies are fortunate enough not to have mental or physical disabilities, they're placed in the foster-care system and moved from home to home," she says. "What makes a woman's right to procreate more important than the right of a child to have a normal life?" It's an issue near and dear to Harris: she adopted four children born to the same crack-addicted woman in Los Angeles.

Established in 1997, Project Prevention has so far worked with 3,371 addicts in the U.S. Of those, 1,253 have opted for a tubal ligation or vasectomy. After getting in touch with the organization by calling its toll-free hotline (888-30-CRACK), prospective participants must mail in arrest records or official letters from social workers to confirm that they have a drug problem. Those opting for an IUD or surgical implant receive $100 when the device is inserted and $100 more six months and a year later if the device is still in use. Harris depends on donations to keep the operation going and word of mouth among addicts to find clients. But she also advertises her program by driving around the U.S. in a 30-foot motor home plastered with photos of a dead infant, a razor blade, a line of crack and a pacifier, along with the message, "Some things just don't belong together." ........

Read it all: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1981916,00.html

~You can not moderate the truth. Just don't lie, steal or make stuff up out of thin air and expect to get away with it without it being pointed out to you. It's really very simple.~

becket's picture

"$100 more six months and a year later if the device [IUD] is still in use." This is too ridiculous for words!! How can they tell if it's "still in use"? Do they swab it for spermatozoa? Best laugh of the evening!!

“The essence of the independent mind lies not in what it thinks, but in how it thinks.”

NoAAUK's picture

"The danger to you is that science will discover that alcoholism can be traced to one's DNA"

So will God magically change a steppers DNA if they work the 12 steps and go to meetings and chant and hold hands and whatnot?

......and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Matthew 24:11

NoAAUK's picture

And remove their shortcomings for an, as yet, indeterminate length of time?

......and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Matthew 24:11

becket's picture

You have already made it abundantly clear that you are a believer in God. Why not ask God your fluffy question?

My guess is that you dance with the one that brung ya - in other words, your DNA is etched in stone at conception and it's yours till you settle in for a dirt nap. I don't think there would be any special cases where God changes someone's DNA. But who knows?

NoAAUK's picture

"I don't think there would be any special cases where God changes someone's DNA. But who knows?"

So finally you admit that God does not work miracles for steppers and the 12 steps are bollocks?

becket's picture

Goddammit, how fucking dense are you, NoAAUK? I have stated multiple times on this forum that it is my belief that God does not do anything on demand. Get it through your thick skull. I also have NEVER stated that there is anything crazy about the 12 steps.

NoAAUK's picture

"Goddammit, how fucking dense are you, NoAAUK? I have stated multiple times on this forum that it is my belief that God does not do anything on demand. Get it through your thick skull. I also have NEVER stated that there is anything crazy about the 12 steps"

Contradictions, idiot stepper (now I AM calling you names).....theres an old saying in the British Army, "engage brain before opening mouth" you ought to try it from time to time......or at least put the proverbial cotton wool in your mouth

becket's picture

There are no contradictions here, noaauk. If you had been paying attention you would have seen, and read, and understood that I do not believe God kowtows to human beings.

Your response is a non-response. Whenever you want to address this sub-topic that you yourself brought up, I am beyond ready. But if you want to just sink into slinging shit like this: ".....theres an old saying in the British Army, "engage brain before opening mouth" you ought to try it from time to time......or at least put the proverbial cotton wool in your mouth", then forget it. There is no integrity in your bullshit rejoinders and no one has the time to waste on this sort of quick-change crap.

NoAAUK's picture

"Goddammit, how fucking dense are you, NoAAUK?"

"sink into slinging shit like this: "

You really do make me laugh, you people.....if ever there was a bunch of contradictory, hypocritical , self-righteous cult zombies on this planet....its GOT to be you steppers LOL

NoAAUK's picture

"There are no contradictions here, noaauk. If you had been paying attention you would have seen, and read, and understood that I do not believe God kowtows to human beings."

"I have stated multiple times on this forum that it is my belief that God does not do anything on demand. Get it through your thick skull. I also have NEVER stated that there is anything crazy about the 12 steps"

So if God does not do anything on demand, how can the 12 steps be anything but crazy cult BS? The 12 steps can't possibly work if God does not do anything on demand for steppers. He has to restore your to sanity and remove your shortcomings, not to mention give you daily work orders and remove the obsession to drink alcohol.

I say again…….contradictions idiot stepper........and you really must learn to 'engage brain before opening mouth' LOL

NoAAUK's picture

"You have already made it abundantly clear that you are a believer in God. Why not ask God your fluffy question?"

Why would God put me on this earth if he was going to talk to me. Surely it would defeat the purpose of this earthly life if God was going to speak to people, remover their short comings and work all kinds of miracles for them, like you stepper nutjobs claim. If he was going to do all that why not keep people in Heaven?

NoAAUK's picture

Science won't find an Alcoholic gene, because it doesn't exist. There is no such thing. Its just lying scaremongering put about by steppers in an attempt to scare newcomers into staying in their ridiculous cult. Even if there was such a thing, what is confessing character defects and the other stepper cult practices going to do about it.

10, 20, 30 years in AA........what a waste of life, and the biggest laugh is that most of these long term stepper gurus can probably drink alcohol safety now, they are NOT in fact alcoholics any longer

NoAAUK's picture

An alcohol problem is a 'bad habit'. There are varying degrees of this 'habit', the usual classification nowadays is two groups, Alcohol abuse and Alcohol dependent (despite the fact that many people, myself included, moved backwards and forwards between these two classifications at different periods of their life).

Neither classification is a permanent state. A period of abstinence removes alcohol dependency, some say after 10 days. The debate is whether a problem drinker can safety drink again, I believe many can, even 'long term' problem drinkers like myself, though I would never say all will. I believe its a problem of belief, if you believe you can't you certainly won’t be able to. There will also be many many different other issues involved with problem drinkers which will need to be dealt with, a mythical ‘alcoholic gene’ is NOT one of these issues

That is not to say I am advising anyone with an alcohol problem to go out and drink. I would certainly advise a person to read MM and HAMS and other Moderation/Harm Reduction literature before they even contemplate such a coures of action.

But whatever goal you desire or attempt, Moderation, Harm Reduction or Total Abstinence (either temproary or lifelong) keep well away from steppism.....its a mind screwing death cult

potential for more social control....it's just that simple. I have been warning people (family members and friends) for years to learn to control their substance usage in order NEVER to end up in the hands of the courts, the treatment industry, or the institution of mad-doctoring!!

"....it is ordained in the eternal constitution of things that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters".

Edmond Burke, 1791

Anthro

Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their own appetites; in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity; in proportion as their soundness and sobriety of understanding is above their vanity and presumption; in proportion as they are more disposed to listen to the counsels of the wise and the good, in preference to the flattery of knaves. Society cannot exist unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere, and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters.

Edmund Burke (1791)

Anthro

NoAAUK's picture

"I have been warning people (family members and friends) for years to learn to control their substance usage in order NEVER to end up in the hands of the courts,"

I used to tell people not to abuse Alcohol because they could end up in AA and they won't like it. And that was years before I was introduced to the OP and learned the truth.

I always hated AA, from about the 2nd or 3rd meeting..........whats to like about AA, especially if you fall for their scaremongering BS

becket's picture

So this means you fell for it? This means you're a sucker and a sap and can't conjure a self-protective thought of your own?

NoAAUK's picture

"So this means you fell for it?"

Yes I fell for the scaremongering lies and misinformation, that’s what AA was created for, to sucker the bemused and frightened at possibly the worst time of their lives. Sucker the vulnerable, so the stepper predators can abuse them in whatever manner turns the stepper deviants on.

Satans cult, founded by satans servants, the lying, thieving, acid popping, conman sexual predator and chain smoker himself, and the child battering, drunken surgeon of undetermined sexual preference.

Its not the messenger, its the message that counts........well it would have to be in AA's sordid case......deviant messengers with a meaningless message. And when the real world finally knows the truth, thanks to the growing Anti AA Movement......no more stepper cults.........mission accomplished

You steppers will never win an arguments or score points against us............you have NO arguement, nor any valid points

becket's picture

Why would Satan give a shit about you? You're small potatoes to him, an also-ran. He wants the real players. You have nothing to worry about.

Yeah, man, that chain-smoking probably bought Bill Wilson a thousand years in Purgatory for corruption, or for coveting his neighbor's lungs. He was truly an authentic degenerate.

You wouldn't know a valid point if it smacked your ass to the concrete.

NoAAUK's picture

"Why would Satan give a shit about you?"

satan wants to destroy everybody......that’s what satan tries to do, especially through evil predatory cults like AA....satan is an evil entity (a bit like Bill and the deviant doctor, except more so)

"Yeah, man, that chain-smoking probably bought Bill Wilson a thousand years in Purgatory for corruption, or for coveting his neighbour’s lungs"

No it was not his chain smoking that has probably bought wilson a thousand years in purgatory, it was his lying and thieving and his sexual predation of the vulnerable women he was reputedly giving God's message to, that made him such a despicable scumbag worthy of such punishment in the next level of consciousness.

Incidentally, I used to chain smoke for years, till I read Allen Carrs Easyway to stop smoking. That book really does work and I would advise it to anyone who wants to stop smoking. I never bothered with nicotine anonymous, one BS 12 step cult was enough for me

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/280-4127830-2837427?url=searc...

Allen Carrs Easyway to Control Drinking is actually a 'Total Abstinence' book and also works (unlike AA)

I cannot recomend Alen Carrs Easyway enough

http://www.allencarrseasyway.co.uk/