I hope it is safe to assume that these shortcomings are the famous 'character defects' so often referred to in stepper meetings?
The big question for me is 'does God remove these shortcomings if humbly asked?’ And if he does, then why is there a need to do Step 10. Why is there a need for continued personal inventory, if God has already removed our shortcomings in Step 7?
This raises a number of questions:-
1) Does step 7 actually work?
2) Does God only remove our shortcomings temporarily and if so for how long.....do they return at midnight like Cinderella at the Ball (come to think of it steppism is a fairy story) or can you have them removed for longer periods and if so, what’s the maximum time God will remove a shortcoming for?
3) Or do steppers constantly develop new shortcomings as a result of doing the 12 steps and going to meetings, and have to constantly take inventory and admit they are wrong? Steppism is therefore ANTIspiritual (not religious) and actually creates shortcomings and therefore spiritual diseases
4) Or do steppers hang on to shortcomings and it is these that have to acknowledged in Step 10 Or perhaps a combination of hung onto shortcomings and new shortcomings?
5) Can you partially hang on to a shortcoming so you only have half a shortcoming to acknowledge and admit you are wrong in step 10?
6) Can/will God remove a shortcoming that you are hanging on to?
7) Why do steppers humbly ask God to REMOVE their shortcomings in step 7 but only PROMTLY ADMIT THEY ARE WRONG when they find new or hung onto shortcomings in step 10?
8) Is Step 10 really a way to keep hung onto shortcomings, by just promptly admitting you are wrong, but not humbly asking God to remove them and therefore does Step 10 actually jeopardise a steppers sobriety?
9) Why not skip step 6 and go directly to step 7, a bit like playing snakes and ladders?
Can any of our resident stepper Gurus enlighten me as I want to understand the 'message'