New Jersey Governor Wants to Transform Treatment of Drug Offenders

I believe this means more 12 Step NA and AA programs. If this initiative goes through I believe there will be a lot more people mandated to AA and NA. 62% of the prison population has a moderate to severe drug problem, they could get release to the rooms. Any comments from pro or anti 12 Step bloggers on what this will do to New Jersey (especially Nutley)?

"New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is taking the lead on a national issue with a proposal that could change the way that state judicial systems deal with drug abuse. In his recent State of the State Address, the governor suggested that every nonviolent offender with a serious substance abuse problem undergo mandatory treatment. The governor then took his proposal one step further and suggested that treatment should take the place of a prison sentence. Speaking to those who would be affected by the proposal, Governor Christie said, "We want to help you, not throw you away. We will require you to get treatment. Your life has value."

The governor stated that he understands that addiction is a disease that touches nearly every family in New Jersey in one way or another. He also stated that when drug and alcohol abusers enter the prison system, there are released back into a life of substance abuse, crime and re-arrest. For many, incarceration becomes a revolving door that never addresses the underlying cause for arrest. A 2009 study of New Jersey prisons estimated that 62% of New Jersey's prison population has a moderate to severe drug problem."

Read more: http://www.addictionreporter.com/drugcrime/new-jersey-chris-christie-pro...

Pennywise's picture

My philosophy is to reduce penalties for drug crimes and increase penalties for burglaries, car thefts, and most violent offenses. You get busted with some crack we go easy on you; you burglarize a house you get 10 years. Now it is often the other way around. But fuck this treatment shit either way. At least in prison you know when you're getting raped in the ass.

"I will not agree to anything which is opposed to the unity of the Universal Church, no matter who may try to persuade me,..." ~ Oath of Boniface

causeandeffect's picture

LOL!!! I agree. Pennywise, about harsher penalties. But LOL about the prison!

Agreed, Pennywise! The penalties are way, way too much. Just look at Patricia Spottedcrow, even if she's nowhere close to NJ.

And LOL!

That's a sin if ever there was one.

"If I forget who I am, I am myself. If I remember who I am, I am you."

Chris Christie is the devil incarnate.
He doesn't give a rat's patootie about anything but lining his pockets and those of his wealthy friends. It sounds nice. Compassion, caring, empathy...His motives are never pure. Governor Christie's got no love for the working man, the poor, the police, educators, firefighters, the mentally ill. I am sure he has no love for addicts either. There's money going into some pockets somewhere.

Pennywise's picture

Do you think he may have been indoctrinated in 12 Step theology through attendance at Overeaters Anonymous?

"I will not agree to anything which is opposed to the unity of the Universal Church, no matter who may try to persuade me,..." ~ Oath of Boniface

Well, his cheesecake habit is probably quite costly.

Ironic's picture

You must be from New Jersey haha

Hope all this anger doesn't make me drink. :)

But hell, there are enough meetings in NJ to handle the influx. You can't swing a cat around here without hitting a coffee pot.

LOL

It sounds like Governor Bag O Shit from Illinois. Speaking of getting, uhhh - badoobudee "in the ass". The Blago era is finally over!

Pro Empowerment!

causeandeffect's picture

Wait a minute. Is it possible we all have the same Governor? The one here's a real shit head. He doesn't even care about re-election because he's raking in sooo much money in office right now. Even his own party was saying that he's a criminal and to not vote for him, yet he somehow got elected anyway. I swear those voting booths are rigged. He's gonna leave this state high and dry. Everybody bend over now!

Um, cats usually don't like to be swung. At least not most of them. ; D

Those in rural living communities such as Nutley, NJ might want to consider moving now. Hasn't there already been a drop in their home value? This beside what the recent recession has caused.

Pro Empowerment!

Ironic's picture

I don't think Nutley is really "rural," is it Gigi?

No. It's pretty darn close to "Real Houswives of New Jersey" territory.

Ironic's picture

My ideal vacation destination is Paterson. Anyone know why? Ahahahahha

You don't wanna go to Paterson.

Ironic's picture

The heroin there would have me pushing up daisies from just sniffing some, I bet.

My mom is from Passaic, but I had no reason as a child to go to the hood.

Precisely why you don't want to go to Paterson. :)

massive's picture

Im calling his office this week. This is very scary. He is a stepper I bet. Or is his wife?????

Massive

My disdain for Governor Christie aside, I'd much rather see people with non-violent drug charges end up going through the DRC than end up in prison. It's the "treatment" angle that pisses me off. Drug court and AA/NA does not equal treatment.

DeConstructor's picture

when the failure of traditional treatment could be highlighted and real effective change could occur, with the added benefit of lower costs, fewer full jails, and upstanding members of society getting less stuff stolen.

I wish you all had a governor like we do in Montana. I used to drink alot with Brian Schweitzer and I really wish he was the President. He would be a great one.