Notes on an NA Meeting

(Apologies for length. Cross-posted at my dinky little blog;) Well, mission accomplished. I went back to a meeting at my former "home group", and while I knew it would look very, very different from my perspective of not being even in a semi-chronic state of relapse (rather, from the perspective of being completely clean for an extended period), it was more of a mess than I had thought it would be. First off, I knew this was a very "sick" group to begin with, it was widely talked about in other NA groups at the time. I was actually "recruited out" of this group by other NAers for that reason. My former sponsor was a disaster, a woman who had 12 sponsees after she and her then-boyfriend rather took over the group a few years ago. At that time she had only 1 1/2 years of "clean-time", which is actually less than I have now, yet was the only eligible female sponsor for this group, which is one of the largest where I live and boasts the largest amount of court ordered members. I say this not to judge her smaller amount of clean-time, btw, but to point out that I feel in no way qualified to try and guide a vulnerable addict through to sobriety at this point in my life, as much as I'd love to help people. I had no real inclination to speak to this woman, and that feeling grew during the meeting. She finally shared last, a few people after her former boyfriend (and previous sponsor of every male in that group), who revealed gladly that he was now facing homelessness and was suicidal. Despite his newfound interest in suicide however, he kept saying how many people he had called "in the program" to talk to about his "racing thoughts", his hopelessness, etc. Every one of them has told them to "read the basic text, man". And hit some more meetings (he already goes to 1 per day). All I could thing was, "Holy crap, this is your friend, he's effing suicidal, and you're telling him to read the basic text and hit several meetings a day? WTF??!?!?" But......back to my former sponsor sharing. She stated repeatedly that the only reason she was there was to wish a goodbye to an oldtimer there who was to be moving tomorrow three states away. Then she launched into telling the room how she had had to use every bit of strength she had last night to---keep from "beating the shit out of this bitch and all she was doing was stroking my hair". After explaining about 10 times that she is just a "very, very violent person", she tried to explain that this woman wasn't really doing much, just stroking her hair. But she had a problem--she didn't fully explain this bit--with gauging motives of women and whether or not different women were "that bitch who fucked me up so bad". Therefore, "those newcomer women, those fucking newcomer women" should all just "stay the fuck away from" her. And yes, at this point I was wishing to my doorknob that I had instant replay so I could run it back and record this particularly enlightening drunkologue. Or was it an assaultalogue? What the HELL?!?!? Who speaks like this? Ever? Let alone to a group that is supposed to be gaining "fellowship" from their words? Needless to say, she was not the first person to share about their problems with previous episodes or even arrests for "violent" behaviors or offenses. While everyone else nodded their heads knowingly at each of these confessions, I sincerely wished to become invisible. I didn't feel terribly warm and gushy inside with the three men who told everyone how they only had to serve anywhere from 20-90 days in jail (for "violent" offenses, unspecified). I was wondering about the five or so 18-20 year olds sitting in there eligible for sponsorship by these people who kept claiming that they'd not only use were it not for meetings but that they'd do much worse ("I'm just a VERY violent person!"). And that doesn't even touch on the talk of suicide! Admittedly, it does make sense now, that this woman who hates other women to such a degree would've not cared one bit (or even returned a call, though I considered that a blessing, even then) about my life or her other 11 sponsees at the time. After all, she's just a "very, very violent person". I certainly am not going to harbor any animosity towards a woman who is so messed up that she can barely make it through a night without an assault & battery charge, I don't begrudge these people their different beliefs. Not if these meetings are all they have preventing them from killing themselves. That said, people who've been clean for years and years whose daily struggle is severe depression, violent tendencies, suicidal thoughts --well, let's just say that their biggest problem at the present is probably not their experience however long ago with addiction. Admittedly also, this could be grandstanding. But if the newcomer is the most important person in the room, what kind of hope does it give them in their own "recovery" (and there were EIGHT people there with under 30 days all in the 18-21 age group!) to hear every oldtimer talking about not being able to escape from the destructive thoughts in their heads, the dangerous thoughts of suicide, constant threats of homelessness? If this is "serenity", I must've missed the proper definition. So, my ex-sponsor ended her share by stating that she was grateful for this county's "finest", who had arrested her (for some previous violent behavior, I was inferring), that that was a blessing in disguise. Then made a final reference to "newcomer women". I had already passed during sharing, even declined to give my name (I didn't want to seem horribly disrespectful because I did NOT go to "crash" a meeting, merely to observe--but I still wasn't about to say that I AM an addict. Oh, no.). After hearing that though, I couldn't much speak at all. I encouraged the newer members best I could, told them not to lose hope, that if I could make it anyone could. I kept free of any other message. I won't deny that I felt much better off in having refused previously to "keep coming back", though. Thank the great doorknob in the sky, my life is far better for the path I chose.

Comments

Pennywise's picture

Whatever. "Acid" is slang for LSD. Bill took LSD.
"One turned up the other day calling himself Boniface." ~ Bill Wilson
btnben's picture

Acid is one of the street names for LSD, dickhead. Lysergic ACID diethylamide - see where it comes from Banjo Boy? 'king thick, or what?

God damn it, get me a whiskey

Bill W, Deathbed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?source=patrick.net&v=Sdn3O6aaMNc

btnben's picture

Bill W, Deathbed

Just so you know my last statement was retracted because the information I quoted was anecdotal. Honestly, I could not verify it as I thought I could.

My point was going to be about the potency of street level Acid.
btnben's picture

If that was going to be your point why did you say something completely different? Just don't make sense Banjo Boy...lol.

Bill W, Deathbed

massive's picture

You need to be banned. With that mouth of yours why not go to the street and hang out with thugs who care about nothing! Your mouth shows who and what you really are Marietta. I will not respond to you again but this is just...rediculous
Massive

If you are not going to read all the posts and be fair about who should be banned or not then please don't pass judgement. There is enough cold callous comments going on around here for many to be banned under your definition. This act of yours has gotten real old. You went from 13 stepping activism right on into mimicking what every one said about the BB on ST to be accepted. IMHO!! I don't buy your opinions about the BB one bit. Your opinions sound scripted and lacking depth. Get off the butts of people in AA, you went for almost 40 years. You must of believed something was working there. Plus you are still going at times.
btnben's picture

Your days are numbered Banjo Boy. Don't draw attention to yourself...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

Perse, thanks for sharing about what it was like to go back to you're home group. It sounds like a nightmare of a meeting. Excellent reminder too! Now again it is even more unreal to me that judges would mandate or even recommend going to meetings. Or a counselor or a doctor. Yes, I know you can choose which one you go to, maybe AA or NA. Holy water though, this self help group has the NA stamp on it. To think this could be one of your first times at a meeting after hearing all of the puff and glory about XA. I’d be wondering if all of NA was as insane as this. It’s ridiculous that this continues. Allowing these meetings to continue while being known as secular group counseling, despite their obvious religious themes and paradoxical therapy, is bullshit. As most people know, that is my stance and firm opinion. But they are also unregulated and some are being “run” by violent and suicidal, actively sick, people. I don’t get how this is allowed either. What if there are only a few XA meetings in your area and they are all like this? What if you want to work the program and believe it would help you but cannot relate to the others except that you both have an addiction? From what I get from your post, Perse, there wasn’t much, if any, sharing related to step work or any sharing related to sobriety (how to accomplish it). Even spirituality. For those actively involved in the program or those that support it. What is your opinion about having meetings regulated? Ideas on how they could become regulated?

Pro Empowerment!

Avo--it's all like this here. Like I said, I was told to go to AA instead. To answer your question, this was a topic meeting, except that no one had a topic. Oddly, the other meeting I hit more recently was the same thing, basically the same topic, too. The topic was brought up by a younger, newer member, and it was what to do about a living situation while trying to get clean when sharing an abode with people who are using. He claimed his alternative was a homeless shelter. In the close to 30 shares, very little advice was given, though what was given was offered by very, very new people (try a sober living house, try to apply with them, talk to more people after meetings, go to 90 in 90). The longer standing members mentioned how powerless (there's that damned word again!) they'd be over their addiction if they were even in the same building as people who were using, but used that to launch into drugalogues (eh, sorry, they weren't really drunkalogues) about their present situations. And their violent offenses. Constant thoughts of suicide. And queen sponsor ranting about how it took all she could muster not to beat a woman half to death the previous night. For stroking her hair in an attempt to comfort her. Seriously, these were the eligible sponsors to these newer people, and are sponsors themselves, yet one of the women was ranting about "fucking newcomer girls". I wish I could take someone to this group, honestly, it was just that messed up.

Please ban (er, re-ban) the above troll, Orange.
Ironic's picture

Both DannyBII and Perplexity like to post subjects saying "______ knock it off!" or "Knock it off _______!" They must have been raised in the same house.

Considering how the organization is run it's not surprising at all that meetings turn into this. It's crazy to think that what it "needs" is a guru or "Big Bill" to keep it, or get it back to the insanity/sanity that XA is used to! The gawdly clean time in that meeting or those similar is spreading backassward crazy logic. Yes parents, send your children there to learn about staying sober and about spirituality. Is "sponsor" even the correct word for what a sponsor is or does, in relation to the program? I wish I could go to that meeting with you. I wish there were people around here that I could go to meetings with.

Pro Empowerment!

marietta davis's picture

I realize you said "lithium . . . can give you an intoxicating experience . . . " (my bold), but I can tell you I've been on lithium for over 20 years and I've never copped any kind of buzz off it.
marietta davis's picture

Agreed.
marietta davis's picture

I find this whole topic ridiculous. Does AA/NA know better than you do, or better than your doctor does, whether you're using therapeutically or whether you're seeking a drug's mind-altering properties?
Ironic's picture

=-0 !! I figure that maintenance is good for some people (I am personally an advocate of short or long term maintenance, not so much LIFELONG maintenance though. At least not if you are my age) because their depression/mental illness is caused by an intrinsic deficiency of dopamine or other chemicals provided by the maintenance drug. What I actually advocate (or would, if my opinion really mattered) specifically is ULTRA low-dose buprenorphine (Subutex) because that is what works for me. I take .5-.75 mg/day (the range is just due to a possible slight difference when breaking up the pills. Even using a pill cutter it is hard, because they don't come smaller than 2 mg in the US). That is equal to about 20-30 mg of morphine daily, which any pain patient could tell you is a very small amount (for someone with any kind of tolerance). It provides me a small booster of chemicals I believe I am lacking. I also credit it for keeping me from losing even MORE weight. Every time I eat, whatever I ate comes back out pretty fast. I get to sit on the toilet instead of kneeling in front of it most of the time lately, fortunately, but I do have vomiting spells that require prescription anti-emetics. I was taking literally 10 shits a day, and my intestines are inflamed enough that I have already done one course of steroids. It helps out with the pain. Plus, opiates constipated you (I needed a med to make it stop!!) It doesn't get me high..but I'm sure it makes me feel happier. So what? That is a good thing
marietta davis's picture

What made you think you were entitled to a couple of hours without abuse? I never indicated there was going to be any respite. "The only way to treat trolls is either to ignore them or abuse them." Wasn't it about a week ago when you said you were not going to respond to me any longer and you were going to ignore me? What happened to that, ben? Aren't you the master of your own destiny?
marietta davis's picture

"Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is Do you, Mr. ben?"
marietta davis's picture

Was it the "ignorant" that set you off or the fact that I switched Johnny Weismuller's gender for print without a legal contract?
btnben's picture

What the fuck is that meant to mean? Mad Cow...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

marietta davis's picture

Why do you want or need to go to meetings? Why can't you go by yourself?
marietta davis's picture

On the Suboxone front I have no experience except for having a good friend who is on maintenance. I don't have the information or experience to form an opinion on it; but I do think we all have an awareness, maybe through the conscience, of whether we're trying to get high or just get right with the world in a sane sense. Who can really judge that? Not an outsider.
marietta davis's picture

gotcha!
Ironic's picture

I'll return the sentiment of agreement, for I don't understand why anyone on this board would choose to attend a meeting (court order doesn't = "choose").
btnben's picture

Master of what I do - yes. You are a troll. You don't have to be truthful to trolls. They can be abused whenever and however anyone wants. Sub standard you see - lower class scum...lol. Unfit for normal company...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

btnben's picture

Troll speaking. No need to answer, just give her a verbal kicking...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

btnben's picture

WTF? Comes out with meaningless crap and then says "Gotcha". Fucking mad as a Hatter...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

Ironic's picture

Someone told me once that their brother was prescribed lithium, but he would save it up and take handfuls at a time because it got him high. I was prescribed it so we tried snorting some (I was 13 or 14 lolol) and I always just figured either the brother or the sister telling the story was full of crap. Interesting. So it has psychoactive effects for some? That drug was no bueno (for me). It made me feel like I was in a bubble, separated from all other humanity, and my emotions just all up and went away.

Please tells us what personality you brought to the site today. It is the one who is inquisitive and insightful or it is the one that is cynical maybe narcissistic.

Danny is banned. So why are you playing your nose to ben's ass games? Your better then this PIE.
marietta davis's picture

Verbal kicking? When are you gonna get around to that, ben?
marietta davis's picture

No, what you mean is, "I don't have to [be: correction 3:22 p.m., 2/21/12 ]truthful . . . " And I'm seeing that.
marietta davis's picture

You didn't make the connection, ben. You didn't understand the purpose or the source of the quote. Oh, by now you've looked it up and all is well. But for just a minute or two there I gotcha, dude. The "meaningless crap" you refer to is also a Bob Dylan lyric from "Ballad Of A Thin Man". Update yo' tonalities, bent!

You keep bringing up Danny's sisters name, Diane. Diane is being humiliated on fornits along with her children. It is rumored that JR, Ben and Causeand Effect helped find the pic's on facebook and gave them to a poster by the name of Wayne Kernochan. This is the level ben will stoop too. Can anyone here post where Danny called you, emailed you, tech messaged you, sent you a letter, posted your address or pictures of you and your family. Can you produce evidence that Danny threatened any of you in any way shape or form. Guess what people you will not find any. What you will find is evidence on this site and other sites where ben, JR and causeand effect have slandered, lied, threatened and impersonated Danny. All because Danny challenged the status quo here. You can also witness what these same members are doing the same thing to marietta. ben is using marietta's personal information against her to humiliate her.
marietta davis's picture

That's how I am on pot: exiled. Funny, that's the substance I was accused of carrying when I was busted and deported. I hated pot, and very rarely smoked it (if there was no booze around). But I was the only woman among ten men - the "vulnerable" one - so they singled me out (and the private coach driver) and deported both of us. Never did find out whose dope it was.
btnben's picture

"...better then this...."...lol. Get the car out Danny - we'll go for a scrape around the block...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

btnben's picture

Meds, BSC - MEDS - URGENT!!!!!...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

btnben's picture

I didn't look it up. Not wasting my time trying to follow the ravings of a nutter...lol. It just didn't make any sense BSC - nothing new there...lol. What's going on Bat Shit? Enlighten us...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

btnben's picture

I'm using information against BSC? Check the posts Danny. She the one who found out information about istj and threatened him with loss of job over it. All bullshit, but the threat was made. From then on BSC was fair game. Anyone can out anything about her that they want. She set the ground rules not us. What part did Diane play in you being sent to Elan Danny?...lol Do tell.

Bill W, Deathbed

marietta davis's picture

All I was doing was correcting your grammar, ben. Your post made no sense when you were assigning an activity to me when it was clearly meant for you. ("Master of what I do - yes. You are a troll. You don't have to be truthful to trolls." See how that doesn't make sense? It suggests that a) I'm a troll, and b) that I don't have to be truthful . . . It's just bad writing.) It interests me how you retreat behind a false bulletin about a medical emergency instead of acknowledging when I have a genuine point to consider. You fail at every turn to carry on a discussion and instead resort to grade school antics like this one. You don't gain any credibility by doing so, and you miss every opportunity to discuss the points you disagree with. You resort to OPForum flag waving, no doubt looking over your shoulder to see who is noticing and approving. Have you done this your whole life, or is it just since you began posting on this forum? Looks like you've chosen your dictator.
btnben's picture

"I don't have to truthful....." - Doesn't make fucking sense. And following that "And I'm seeing that" don't make fucking sense. BSC. What your saying is bollocks too. Your meaning would be written "You are a troll, you don't have to be truthful to trolls" - one sentence with a comma. Separate sentences are stand alone. You want to misinterpret them, that's up to you...lol BSC. Even written as one sentence it makes sense, idiot. Being a troll (ie you) doesn't mean you have to be truthful to trolls. Even trolls can lie to trolls. Now get those meds down, you're losing it...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

marietta davis's picture

I makes perfect sense! You quote Bob Dylan to make a point, I respond by quoting Bob Dylan to counter. What's nonsensical about that? You should "follow the ravings of a nutter" because I'm gaining on you and you're beginning to look like a complete idiot.
marietta davis's picture

All right, let's go back, btnben, to the day when you and your Orange Papers Forum cohorts dropped in on e-aa and made a big, convoluted stink over the 12 steps. You seemed to have left your testicals over here at the Forum, because your part in the foray was "Why, whatever do you mean? I don't know istj04, I have some sincere questions for you. And why are you being so mean to him? He just asked a question!" What bullshit. It's like loading a catapult with a spitball. So, no, I did not set the tone. I may never have known this forum was here if it hadn't been for the two of you, so everyone here has you to thank. Let's give credit where credit is due. You brought this on yourself, and I have no intention of stepping back. I have a right to be here, same as you. Fair game? You really wanna see fair game? Say the word, Attila.
btnben's picture

My quote was a direct comment on your wishing someone a retarded child - "You ain't worth the blood that runs in your veins". WTF does "Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is Do you, Mr. ben?" mean? Completely senseless. (2nd time of asking - usually takes 5 to get an answer...lol)

Bill W, Deathbed

btnben's picture

I posted a link to what went on on the a-SS site. FFS - when are you going to stop moaning about that. It's all here back to day one on this forum. Can you show me one instance where istj and myself even spoke? You seem to have decided that my saying I didn't know him was bullshit. I've told you where the evidence is. Prove it - gobshite (English slang word - probably doesn't need any explanation...lol). Nice example of troll trying to ingratiate itself. You'll soon be up to Danny's standard...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

marietta davis's picture

Please, get back in your seat, ben. Now, when you said, " . . . You are a troll. You don't have to be truthful to trolls," this is how it reads: a) in your view I, marietta, am a troll. Got that? Disagree with that? OK. b) Since you are addressing me with the first statement, it follows (grammatically) that you are addressing me with the second statement: "You don't have to be truthful to trolls." Now, your intent was to switch your viewpoint to your audience between statement a and statement b, right? In that case it would have made more sense had you said, "You are a troll. NO ONE has to be truthful to trolls." That way it would have been more clear that you were not instructing me that I need not be truthful to trolls. "Even trolls can lie to trolls"? That's a flaccid save if there ever was one. If this is truly what you intended to say, do you mean I can lie to Danny? Of what value is that? And, just so you know, I don't lie.
btnben's picture

Is exactly what a liar would say. The need to state it raises certain suspicions.

Bill W, Deathbed

btnben's picture

3rd attempt...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

btnben's picture

"to truthful" is not a verb Bat Shit...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

causeandeffect's picture

You truly are crazier than a shithouse rat. Your online (and off line, I'm sure) reputation was in the crapper long before any of us had the misfortune of even knowing you exist. The Elan students you abused don't need any help from any of us. I have nothing to do with you beyond the sites you've incessantly trolled and stalked me at: stinkin thinkin, JREF and here. Why are you stalking us, danny?
"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves." ~Dresden James
causeandeffect's picture

Really, you're not smart enough to be a sock. You keep giving away your identity. Schtupid. You are the one who brought the information here about what a monster you really are. Schtooopid Monster.
"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves." ~Dresden James

Read fornits cause, according to two moderators on the Elan Forum your signature is all over there. Hey, you know what who cares what you think. Doesn't seem like many do here.

Slandering again...what is this the 25 time you have slandered Danny.

Speaking on Danny's behalf here. I don't think anyone would ever stalk you. Cause you are an idiot troll. As far as Elan resident survivors which Danny was for almost 2 years. There are 4 people (survivors) trolling Danny not including JR and yourself. I am so happy causeandeffect you helped me become aware of Danny. I would of never thought that so many cold and callous people could congregate in one place and attack someone as you folks did. Get some help.
marietta davis's picture

I fully understood your reference. Sorry, I had dishes to do.
marietta davis's picture

First of all, it was and remains bullshit that you were unfamiliar with istj04. There's one lie. It does not go back to day one here. It goes back to e-aa. You don't want to be held accountable for tipping me off to this site, but it was quite easy to find and follow you. I saw your lame apology to the forum for inviting me here. I don't think at this point many people care whether I'm here or not. An instance when istj04 and you even spoke? What does that mean? It doesn't refer to anything we've written here. Please explain. "A troll trying to ingratiate itself"? That's another lie.
Ironic's picture

Were you deported TO the US or FROM the US?
causeandeffect's picture

I've read the lies you posted about me and antidenial. I'm certainly not going to spend any more time reading that vulgarity on fornits. And I don't care what you say over there. Everybody who knows you both here and there knows you what a huge liar you are. Nobody believes you danny.
causeandeffect's picture

That you libeled me and antidenial. And there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.
marietta davis's picture

Busted on the U.S. side. All U.S. citizens. Ten hours at the border. Turned the coach around; busted again, two more hours on the Canadian side. Deported to the U.S. from Canada as a person of a class of citizens guilty of "moral turpitude." They had the Shepherds on the coach sniffing for dope. They missed 2 pounds.

This post reads like the intellectual and emotional level of a 11 or 12 year old. Am I missing something here? WHO CARES!!! Leave Danny alone he is not even here. My god, you are the BSC troll. Hey ben, we found her.

You can't come close to the evidence that is here on this site that JR and yourself posted never mind Stinkin Thinkin. Everytime JR, ben, Dennis, Decon and yourself mentioned dragging a 14 year old girl around this constituted slander. I have been busy dear and so are many others who are friends of Danny. Your friend Gunthar 2000 made sure he downloaded volumes of information from ST just before they closed, remember. I am telling you I am learning as we speak. Many of us are. Cause, I am sure glad that because of your retched behavior I became a friend of Danny's although indirectly. Now take your lame ass and get lost.
btnben's picture

"....a idiot...." - it's as distinctive as a fingerprint...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

Danny "....a idiot...." - it's as distinctive as a fingerprint...lol Should read the post again I think you need glasses, Wayne K.
btnben's picture

"As far as Elan resident survivors which Danny was for almost 2 years." - Did he die after 2 years or what?...lol. "As far as........" - ??? well - were waiting. What happened? How long before this one gets changed...lol

Bill W, Deathbed

btnben's picture

LOL

Bill W, Deathbed

causeandeffect's picture

He corrected it. Too late!

Pages